- By//Andrea Watson
All three men who accused Kevin Clash, voice of Sesame Street’s Elmo, of sexual abuse had their lawsuits thrown out by U.S. District Judge John G. Koeltl.
The L.A. Times reports that the judge said he made Monday’s decision based on the fact that the men had waited much too long to sue. Each man had been over 18 for at least three years before even filing the lawsuit.
In a statement, he wrote the plaintiffs’ claims must be excluded, or barred, since they came forward more than six years after they should have known that the alleged actions by Clash were considered abuse.
The men’s attorney, Adam D. Horowitz, said the case wasn’t dropped because Clash is innocent, but because it expired on statute of limitations grounds, according to Design and Trend.com.
Before resigning from Sesame Street in November of 2012, Clash was Elmo’s voice for 28 years. He left the show after a college student sued him for more than $5 million. He was accused of having sex with the student when he was 15.
There is still one lawsuit in Pennsylvania that is pending.