1. What is the most popular page in JET?
B. Beauty of the Week
C. Week’s Best Photo
2. JET is America’s oldest Black weekly magazine?
3. How much did the first JET cost?
A. 15 cents
B. 30 cents
C. 10 cents
4. Who gave JET its name?
A. Mrs. Eunice W. Johnson, wife of John H. Johnson
B. John H. Johnson
C. Gertrude Johnson Williams, mother of John H. Johnson
5. JET’s first edition became a collector’s item.
6. JET was affectionately known as “the Negro magazine.”
7. What year did the famous open-casket photo of Emmett Till run in JET?
8. Who was the first man to appear on the cover of JET?
A. Nat King Cole
B. Billy Daniels
C. Stepin’ Fetchit
9. What year did the first Playlist appear? (Hint: Then it was called “Soul Brothers
10. The saying, “If it wasn’t in JET, it didn’t happen” was coined by JET Publisher John H. Johnson.
11. Michael Jackson appeared on the most JET covers.
12. Which two celebrity deaths made headlines on the same JET cover?
A. Michael Jackson and Farrah Fawcett
B. Aaliyah and Lisa “Left Eye” Lopes
C. Bernie Mac and Isaac Hayes
13. Which JET sold the most copies in the magazine’s history?
A. Barack Obama becomes president
B. Michael Jackson dies
C. Martin Luther King Jr. dies
14. JET Publisher John H. Johnson was born in St. Louis.
15. JET started printing its covers in full color in 1970.
16. JET only publishes feature stories about Black artists, politicians and people of influence.
17. The first issue of JET included an article on Josephine Baker’s plans to sue the famous Stork Club for racial discrimination.
18. Who was on the first cover of JET?
A. Edna Robinson, wife of boxer Sugar Ray Robinson
B. Ella Fitzgerald
C. Sammy Davis Jr.
19. Why was the size of the original JET so small (5.75” x 4”)?
A. It was designed to fit in the pocket of a man’s shirt
B. It could be easily passed around in barbershops and
C. It was designed to fit in a briefcase
20. The following quote was featured in What’s Love Got To Do With It: “Check it. Like JET magazine.”
1. B 2. True. No other Black weekly magazine has been in existence for 60 years. 3. A 4. B 5. True. It was a huge seller and an immediate must-have collector’s item. 6. False. It was called the “Negro Bible” and later, the “Black Bible.” 7. B 8. B 9. C 10. False. A character in one of Maya Angelou’s plays said it. 11. True. The King of Pop graced 40 covers. 12. C 13. B 14. False. He was born in Arkansas City, AR. 15. True 16. False. JET publishes stories that affect Black people. 17. True. It was a major public stance against racism at the time. 18. A 19. A 20. False. It was featured in Boomerang.
— Compiled by S. Tia Brown and Clarence Waldron