Week of Action Supports Marissa Alexander
As Alexander’s retrial nears, the Free Marissa Now mobilization campaign is partnering with SisterSong and others for “Standing Our Ground Week of Action,” a civil rights celebration and act of action around ending domestic violence, ending mass incarceration and supporting women’s rights.
Starting Friday, July 25, the event runs until Aug. 1, the date of the hearing. It will include educational panels, workshops, cultural events and community outreach.
Supporters of any state can partcipate, as the event allows for a certain amount of online and digital mobilization, such as “Selfies for Self-Defense.” The week’s schedule is as follows:
- Friday, July 25: Registration & Opening Ceremony
- Saturday, July 26: SisterSong Reproductive Justice Institute & Youth Assembly
- Sunday, July 27: Beach Day, Freedom Songs, & Free Marissa Benefit Concert
- Monday, July 28: March from SisterSong Conference to Duval County Courthouse; Press Conference
- Tuesday, July 29: Panel on Feminist Organizing, featuring Prof. Beth Richie, author of Arrested Justice: Black Women, Violence, and America’s Prison Nation
- Wednesday, July 30: Panel on the Prison Industrial Complex
- Thursday, July 31: Legal Training, Candlelight Vigil
- Friday, August 1: Courtwatch, Marissa Alexander hearing
For more information on times, locations and other ‘Standing Our Ground Week’ information, click here!