Top
NewsTechnology

San Bernardino Victim’s Stepfather Backs Apple

She was killed in the San Bernardino shootings, but now Sierra Clayborn’s stepdad is backing Apple in its refusal to hack into the iPhone of one of the terrorist attackers.

Cary Eatmon, 56, has come out in support of the tech giant in its battle with the FBI, saying that if they bow to the government’s demand they will be giving into fear and that’s not what his stepdaughter would have wanted.

In a statement released to EBONY.com, the video producer says: “I believe that the FBI should do whatever it can in its legal power to find out what happened in the San Bernardino attack to help prevent another massacre.

“However, I do have concerns regarding our privacy. Sierra would not have wanted us to make decisions based upon fear.  Fear is an ally of the terrorist. If we chip away at our liberties because of fear, the terrorists win. The terrorists must never win.”

Clayborn, 27, was at the holiday party at the Inland Regional Center in San Bernardino, Calif. on December 2 last year, when fellow employee Farook, 28, and his wife Tashfeen Malik, 27, shot office workers killing 14 and injuring 22. The two perpetrators were killed later in a shootout with police.

Eatmon says the incident “has been devastating to our family and the pain endures.” But, while he says he wants the FBI to thoroughly investigate the terrorist attack, not at the cost of personal freedom.

He says: “We must stand strong and protect all constitutional guarantees, including fear based searches that help erode our right to privacy. Yielding to fear dishonors the memory of our loved ones, including my Sierra.”

Read the full story at EBONY.com.