Top
News

Rape Charges Dropped Against Brooklyn Teens

Five Brooklyn teens accused of sexually assaulting an 18-year-old woman at gunpoint last month will not be charged, New York Daily News reports.

The woman recanted her rape assault allegations and told investigators there really was no gun, according to Brooklyn District Attorney Ken Thompson.

What’s even more disturbing is that she was actually being intimate with her own father, Thompson said.

“The complainant, as well as her father, provided multiple inconsistent accounts to NYPD Detectives and to experienced Special Victims prosecutors about important material facts in this case,” Thompson said in a statement.

“The complainant has recanted her allegations of forcible sexual assault and the existence of a gun, and she does not wish to pursue criminal charges against any of the defendants. She also refuses to cooperate with any prosecution against her father, who was engaging in sexual conduct with her.”

The alleged attack was said to occur on Jan. 9. According to early accounts, the teens took turns raping the woman in Brownsville’s Osborn Playground after using a gun to chase off her father. The “victim’s” father then ran from the playground to get help. He later returned with two uniformed police officers, but the supposed suspects were gone.

Denzel Murray, 14, Shaquell Cooper, 15, Ethan Phillip, 15, Onandi Brown, 17, and Travis Beckford, 17, were arrested in connection to the incident days later.

The father and daughter failed to identify any of the first four suspects from a police lineup.

“We are thankful to the District Attorney’s office for the thoughtful and prudent time they took to fully investigate this case,” said Murray’s attorney, Ken Montgomery.