Top
News

Parents Publicize Daughter’s Drug Overdose

“Alison Michiko [Shuemake] Age 18, of Middletown, OH passed away Wednesday, August 26, 2015 of a heroin overdose…”

The parents of an 18-year-old teen who died from a drug overdose publicized the cause of her death to raise awareness about the deadly effects of drug use.

Her parents, Fred and Dorothy McIntosh Shuemake, hoped to spare other parents the grief they are feeling, so they made a point to share the cause of their daughter’s death in the first line of her obituary.

“There was no hesitation,” Dorothy said in an interview with Cleveland.com. “We’ve seen other deaths when it’s heroin, and the families don’t talk about it because they’re ashamed or they feel guilty. Shame doesn’t matter right now.”

Of course, Alison’s parents included other notable facts about the young teen’s life in her obituary such as her participation in the school’s Spanish and Sign Language clubs, her beautiful singing voice and her love for the arts.

“What really matters is keeping some other person, especially a child, from trying this,” Dorothy continued. “We didn’t want anybody else to feel the same agony and wretchedness that we’re left with.”

Our condolences go out to the Shuemake family at this difficult time. Click here to read the full obit.

If you or someone you know is struggling with drug addiction, call 1-800-662-HELP (4357) or visit the online treatment locators.