Police Finally Nail Suspected Orlando Cop Killer

Patrol vehicles were parked outside Orlando Regional Medical Center Wednesday morning, where the man accused of murdering an Orlando master sergeant was taken after his arrest Tuesday.

Markeith Loyd was bloodied, bandaged and only able to see out of his right eye when officers brought him to the hospital following questions at the city’s police headquarters. After being treated, Loyd will be transferred to Orange County Jail, where he is scheduled to have an initial court appearance today.

Chief John Mina retweeted a photo of the Crimeline poster for Loyd with “CAPTURED” written in red across the image late Tuesday.

“Good will always prevail over evil,” the tweet said.

Loyd was discovered by a team of law enforcement officers around 7 p.m. at an abandoned house in west Orlando’s Carver Shores neighborhood, ending an eight-day, multi-county manhunt that started after he allegedly gunned down Master Sgt. Debra Clayton Jan. 9.

Authorities had been looking for Loyd since Dec. 13 when he reportedly shot and killed his pregnant 24-year-old ex-girlfriend, Sade Dixon. According to police, Loyd also shot and injured Dixon’s brother that night as he ran to help her.

Loyd is facing charges of first-degree murder, unlawful killing of an unborn child, attempted first-degree and two counts of aggravated assault with a firearm stemming from that incident. He is expected to face additional charges in Clayton’s death.

Orange County Sheriff’s Deputy Norman Lewis was also killed on Jan. 9 in a motorcycle crash while responding to the manhunt.

Authorities said it was good police work and not a tip to Crimeline that led to Loyd’s arrest. Dozens of local, state and federal officers surrounded the house at 1157 Lescot Lane and stopped Loyd from escaping through the back door. He eventually surrendered. He was wearing body armor and had two guns on him at the time of incident.

Mina said Loyd dropped the guns, but resisted arrest, leading to his injuries.