NEWS: 10 Things To Know Today
1. HILLARY CLINTON TAKING CENTER STAGE AT BENGHAZI HEARING
She’ll be the star witness in the Republican-led investigation into the deadly 2012 attacks on the U.S. diplomatic compound.
2. ASSAD PUTS RESILIENCE ON DISPLAY
His surprise visit to Moscow — a first foray out in nearly five years — underscores how emboldened the Syrian leader has become and how he could survive the ruinous war.
3. MEDIA GET CLOSE LOOK AT MILITARY HUB IN SYRIA
The Russian Defense Ministry flies reporters to an air base in western Syria, giving international news organizations their first inside look at its combat operations there.
4. HOW BIDEN’S DECISION NOT TO RUN IN 2016 UNFOLDED
The vice president went right up to the brink of being a candidate, delaying his decision over and over again, before abruptly pulling the plug.
5. ‘LET’S MEET AGAIN IN THE AFTERLIFE’: WRENCHING DEPARTURES FOR KOREANS
Hundreds of elderly Koreans weep and embrace as they part — perhaps for good — after briefly reuniting with relatives and spouses for the first time in more than 60 years since war tore them apart.
6. WHICH UNCOMMON CAUSE PAUL RYAN IS CHAMPIONING
The Republican, who’s likely to become the next speaker of the House, has become an unlikely spokesman for balancing family life with work.
7. SUSPECT CHARGED WITH MURDER IN ROAD-RAGE SHOOTING IN NEW MEXICO
The man allegedly opened fire on a pickup truck on an Albuquerque freeway, killing a 4-year-old girl whose father had just picked her up from school.
8. STORM BEARS DOWN ON MEXICO, EXPECTED TO STRENGTHEN
Patricia, nearing Mexico’s Pacific coast, could become a major hurricane later this week, forecasters warn.
9. WHO’S PUTTING DIVORCE ON HOLD
Lamar Odom and Khloe Kardashian decide to stay married as the ex-NBA star continues his recovery a week after he was found unconscious at a Nevada brothel.
10. SIMPLY AMAZIN: METS PUNCH TICKET TO WORLD SERIES
Daniel Murphy homers in his record sixth straight postseason game and New York downs the Cubs 8-3 to reach the World Series for the first time in 15 years.