Teen Curfew Set to Earlier Time in Milwaukee

Milwaukee is moving up its curfew for teenagers following violence on the city’s north side after the police-involved shooting of a black man.

Mayor Tom Barrett says the city will more strictly enforce the ordinance at 10 p.m. The city’s usual summer curfew for teenagers younger than 17 has been 11 p.m.

Barrett has urged parents and guardians to keep their children home and away from the Sherman Park neighborhood where the violence Saturday night left six businesses burned. An 18-year-old man was shot and wounded Sunday night.

Saturday’s violence came a few hours after a black officer shot a black man whom police say was fleeing a traffic stop and was carrying a handgun. The shooting is being investigated by the state.

12:40 p.m.

Milwaukee’s police chief says an 18-year-old man suffered a single gunshot wound to the neck during unrest on the city’s north side, but that his life is not in danger.

The man, whose name has not been released, was shot late Sunday during a demonstration to protest the killing of a black man by a police officer a day earlier.

Police have said officers used an armored vehicle to retrieve the injured man and take him to a hospital. Police did not say who shot him, but that they are looking for suspects.

Chief Ed Flynn said at a news conference Monday that the man does “not appear to be in danger.”

Flynn also said that officers came under fire Sunday but that no officers returned fire.


Officials in Milwaukee are asking the community for help restoring order on the city’s north side.

Violence broke out Saturday night, hours after a police officer shot and killed a man that police said was fleeing and armed. At least four buildings, including a bank, were burned and one officer was hurt during the unrest.

Mayor Tom Barrett implored the parents of any children at the scene to “get them home right now.”

Alderman Ashanti Hamilton promised to get information about the shooting to the public.

“Please allow the process to work,” he said.

Smoke could be seen billowing from The BMO Harris branch a few blocks away from the intersection where as many as 100 protesters battled with police earlier Saturday evening. It was at least the fourth building to burn, following a BP gas station, an O’Reilly Auto Parts store and a beauty supply store. Footage from a news helicopter also appeared to show a small grocery store had been looted.

A traffic signal was also bent and bus shelters overturned.

Police said the 23-year-old man was fleeing a traffic stop. They said the man was armed with a gun but it wasn’t clear whether he was pointing it at or shot at police.

Check back for updates.

Photo: Associated Press Images