Mayor Calls for Investigation into Minn. Shooting

The mayor of Minneapolis asked for a federal civil rights investigation into the weekend shooting of Black man by a member of the city’s police force.

Mayor Betsy Hodges told the Associated Press that she wrote to the Civil Rights Division of the Department of Justice and to the U.S. attorney for Minnesota seeking the investigation. She wants the department to look into the incident in the “interest of transparency and community confidence.’

Authorities have released few details about the incident, which sparked protests in the city. Witnesses say a man was handcuffed when he was shot, a claim that law enforcement officials say is untrue.

The man, whose identity has not been released by investigators, was taken to a hospital after the shooting. His family says he is on life support.

Activists and concerned citizens are calling for the name of the officer involved to be released, as well as video footage of the altercation.

“We’re still not moving until we get that footage,” said Black Lives Matter member Michael McDowell.

Hundreds of demonstrators blocked Interstate 94 on Monday, shutting down the northbound lanes for about two and a half hours. Forty-three adults and 8 juveniles who refused multiple orders were arrested.

Two officers are on paid leave pending an investigation. Officials say the officers were not wearing body cameras.

Police said they were called to north Minneapolis around 12:45 a.m. Sunday in response to a report of an assault. When they arrived, a man was interfering with paramedics helping the victim, according to officials. An altercation ensued when officers tried to calm him.

At some point, one of the officers fired at least once, hitting the man.

Family members have identified the man as 24-year-old Jamar Clark. His father, James Hill, told the  Associated Press that Clark suffered a single gunshot would over his left eye.

No word on how long the investigation will take.

Check back for updates.