Man Freed After 30 Years on Death Row
MONTGOMERY, Alabama (AP) — An inmate on Alabama’s death row for nearly 30 years will go free after prosecutors said there is not enough evidence to link him to the 1985 murders he was convicted of committing.
A judge on Thursday dismissed the case against Anthony Ray Hinton. Last year, the U.S. Supreme Court sent the case back for a potential new trial.
Prosecutors in a Wednesday court filing said forensic experts can’t determine if crime scene bullets came from a gun found in Hinton’s home.
Hinton was charged with two 1985 murders during separate robberies of Birmingham-area fast-food restaurants.
The six bullets were the key evidence that led to Hinton’s conviction. The Supreme Court said that Hinton had an inadequate defense because of a low-cost ballistics expert who was quickly discredited on cross-examination.