Judge: Release Laquan McDonald Footage
Chicago police must release dash cam video believed to show an officer fatally shooting a 17-year-old male 16 times, NBC reports.
Cook County Judge Franklin Valderrama issued the ruling Thursday in court. 17-year-old Laquan McDonald died at the hands of a white CPD officer in Oct. 2014.
Valderrama said police have until Nov. 25 to release the footage, and denied the city’s request for an immediate stay. An appeal is expected to be filed in an effort to block the video’s release.
The footage, which has been described as disturbing, has McDonald’s mother concerned that its graphic nature will cause an uproar. Attorney Mike Robbins, who is representing the McDonald family, said the teen’s mother “is not looking forward to the day this is released.”
Robbins said the video shows McDonald holding a small knife and walking away from officers before one unexpectedly opens fire. More than a dozen bullets struck the teen, and more were fired as he lies lifeless on the ground.
A city attorney who watched the video recommended a $5 million settlement for the family. The Illinois attorney general’s office called for the release of the footage earlier this week.