Cop Chase Leads to Death of Children

A Detroit police officer continued a high-speed chase into a busy neighborhood, killing two small children and injuring others on Wednesday, the Free Thought Project reports.

Siblings Michaelangelo, 6, and Makiah Jackson, 3, were killed as they played in front of their home when a patrol car appeared, chasing what is reported to be a Chevy Camero. Witnesses say the vehicle bumped the vehicle, causing it to fly “up in the air.” They heard tire squeals, as if the car was attempting to stop, but by then it was going too fast and had lost control and hit the two small children, killing them instantly.

A witness, identified as a friend of the family described the scene to the Free Thought Project:

“[The police] were right on their rear, the police car bumped their tail a little bit, and the car flew up in the air,” the friend said. “There was no need for the police to be that close. I yelled ‘WATCH OUT’ but it was too late. When the car hit them, both of them just looked at me. They screamed. It just keeps re-playing in my head. …I ran down there, I yelled out their names, but they were gone. Makiah’s eyes were wide open, they died on impact. I’m the last one they talked to. They looked at me, they were here, I saw their faces. L’il Mama (Makiah) thought I was going to take them to the park, so she came with me to the sidewalk. I told her I promise I’ll take you to the park tomorrow.”

Witnesses say that even after the car hit the children, the police did not stop their pursuit. They say officers continued to chase the vehicle across one front lawn after another, until they crashed and critically injured three more children and an adult.

According to police, the driver of the vehicle being pursued was 29-year-old Lorenzo Harris. He was on parole, but had not been reporting to his parole officer. An unidentified passenger in the car was taken to the hospital in serious condition.

Police Chief James Craig’s account conflicts with that of witnesses. On the night of the incident, Craig said that the police car had already stopped the chase after cops “lost sight of the car.” He changed his statement to say that a supervisor had ordered a stop to the pursuit after eyewitnesses refuted his claim.

In an earlier report, Craig claimed that police saw an occupant of the vehicle holding a gun. The next day, he said there was no gun and that the chase started when police “made eye contact” with the car’s occupants.

This is just a sad situation all around for many reasons.

The family of Mikiah and Michaelangelo Jackson has set up a GoFundMe account to help with their funeral expenses, which they said they cannot afford.