Breaking News: 10 Things to Know On 10.12.15
Your daily look at late-breaking news, upcoming events and the stories that will be talked about today:
1. TURKISH PEACE RALLY BOMB TOLL RISES TO 97
No one has claimed responsibility, but the attack bears similarities to a suicide bombing the government blames on the Islamic State group that killed 33 people at a town bordering Syria in July.
2. PALESTINIAN ATTACKS OFFICER WITH KNIFE, IS SHOT DEAD
The recent wave of Israeli-Palestinian violence is marked by Palestinian stabbings and shootings carried out by young Palestinians with no affiliation to militant groups.
3. WHY CLINTON HAS EDGE IN NEVADA, SITE OF DEMS’ FIRST DEBATE
She installed staff on the ground in the state six months ago, and her 22 local operatives have recruited more than 3,000 volunteers.
4. WHO MIGHT BE FIGHTING WILDFIRES IN CALIFORNIA
The state considers allowing inmates with violent backgrounds to work outside prison walls as part of the nation’s largest inmate firefighting unit, The AP learns.
5. IRAN SAYS WASHINGTON POST REPORTER CONVICTED
A spokesman for the Iranian judiciary confirms Jason Rezaian’s conviction but the verdict’s details remain unknown.
6. SOME WANT TO SWAP AD HOC VICTIM TRIBUTES FOR LASTING SHRINES
In Milwaukee, victims’ advocates are leading a push to establish publicly funded individual memorials to replace the improvised ones “to promote life and growth and peace.”
7. WHAT BEN CARSON’S GUN COMMENTS HIGHLIGHT
His statements suggest that he is a political rookie who prefers to muse on the news of the day rather than offer a clear picture of what he’d seek to do if elected.
8. THAT NEW YORK TWANG
Music City musicians are partnering with a nonprofit that is providing music education in public schools around the city to boost music as a core subject for all students.
9. VOLKSWAGEN RECALLS DIESEL VEHICLES IN CHINA
The move is intended to correct engine software that the automaker has admitted cheats on emissions tests.
10. UTLEY KNOWN FOR PLAYING HARD
He now finds himself in the middle of baseball’s hottest controversy after his hard takeout slide broke New York Mets shortstop Ruben Tejada’s right leg.