Baltimore’s ‘Hero Mom’ Now Homeless After Fire
The Baltimore mother who gained notoriety after a 2015 viral video showed her disciplining her son during the riots following the death of Freddie Gray, now faces another crisis.
Toya Graham, also known as Baltimore’s ‘hero mom,’ is now homeless after her home caught on fire.
The mother of five was at work when she received a call from her 18-year-old daughter Teiyona. “She called me hollering that the house was on fire,” Graham told the Baltimore Sun.
Graham rushed home only to find her three-story house in massive flames. Her family had just moved there in April.
“When I got there, there were five fire trucks, an ambulance and police. I could see them through the third-floor window. They were throwing stuff out the back window. It was a mess,” she said.
No one inside was hurt. However, the family of seven are now staying at a nearby hotel. They are currently seeking a contractor to work on utilities to restore service.
“We’ve been here for several days and the money is running out and at this point, I’m not sure if I’m able to go back to my home,” she said. I have to wait for [Baltimore Gas and Electric Co.] and a contractor to come out to see if it’s livable.”
The fire started when Graham’s, now 17-year-old son Michael Singleton — who she confronted in the video — was cooking, but briefly stepped away from the kitchen. He tried notifying neighbors and immediately called the local fire department.
“I came in the kitchen and it was real smoky from the pan. Then there were flames coming from the spot,” he said. I grabbed a jug of water and threw it on the grease. And it started bursting out in more flames.”
Although the home needs to be inspected by a contractor, the family is hoping that their landlord quickly gives them access to move back into their home.
A GoFundMe page has been established for the family and The American Red Cross has provided them with the money to reside in two hotel rooms.
“We don’t know what’s going to happen. We have been praying a lot that we will have a home and that we will be all right and that everything will be fixed,” said Michael.