Get that Spring Break Body!
Oh, the weather outside is frightful, but scary weather doesn’t come close to what we do to our bodies during the winter months. Remember those first few days on campus? The summer air, short shorts, crop tops, enjoying the warmth and the energy of the sun… But then the winds blew in, the campus went into hibernation, and so did we.
Cold weather brings heavier meals, less activity, stress due to final exams, and bigger waistlines. Despite the current weather conditions, Spring Break is just around the corner. If you’ve got plans for fun in the sun, these tips from Ashanti Johnson, owner of Chicago-based 360 Mind, Body, Soul, will get you back on track in no time.
1) Consistency is the Key – Ashanti says that the #1 reason people fail to reach their fitness goals is lack of consistency. You can’t have carrot sticks one day and pizza the next. If you’re committed to getting into your bathing suit or swim trunks, you have to commit to be fit. Clear your room of junk and processed foods. Replace them with healthier snacks like dry roasted nuts, yogurt, dried cranberries, and air popped popcorn like Skinny Pop.
2) Work Until it Hurts – Johnson says that 1-2 reps in the gym won’t get you the results you desire. When your muscles start to shake, that’s when the body is working to a point of fatigue; and that’s when the changes start to happen. If you don’t know how to push yourself to your physical limits, Ashanti suggests training with athletes who have been conditioned to go that extra mile.
3) Maximize Freebies – Most college students have free gym access. Start going to class in your gym clothes so that you can head straight to your workout afterwards. If your college gym membership costs more than you can afford, Ashanti suggests doing workouts on YouTube or using Fitness Apps on your smartphone.
4) Abs are Made in the Kitchen – 70% of weight loss is determined by what you eat. The body digests fats and sweets differently than plant based foods. Ashanti warns that you can’t out train a bad diet, but can change the appearance of your body by replacing processed, junk foods with fruits and vegetables. You can blend them up in a smoothie for a grab and go treat without the added sugar. She also suggests to NEVER eat carbs before bed. Carbs are energy, so when they are consumed, and you go to sleep, they don’t get burned. Having nowhere to go, they become stored in your body and eventually turn to fat. Listen to your body. Eat when hungry. Stop when full. It’s just that simple.
5) All About that Waistline – If you’re trying to get your tummy flatter in the next 28-30 days, Ashanti suggests crunches and planks. She says that each of us has the capacity for a 4 or 6 pack, but it’s usually buried under a layer of fat. By changing our diet, the fat melts away and reveals the definition in our abs.
Spring is less than a month away. You’ve still got time to get back on track and shed those winter pounds. Commit now and you’ll see results in no time.
Getting TO college is one thing; Getting THROUGH college is quite another. That’s why Dr. Shante’ offers strategic advice on being successful both in and out of the classroom. From catalogs to cap and gown, Dr. Shante shares what it takes to ‘Stomp the Yard” with confidence and clarity! You can follow her on Facebook, YouTube, Instagram, and Twitter