Grilling with Chef G. Garvin
There’s no doubt Chef G. Garvin can whip up a delicious meal. But the star of Travel Channel’s Underground BBQ Challenge is also big on giving back outside of the kitchen.
The TV host and celebrity chef, recently teamed up with Allstate for its Give It Up for Good campaign, which encourages people to make a difference in their communities and shares their stories.
Through his own nonprofit, the One Bite Foundation, Garvin teaches kids all about his world in Chef G. Garvin’s Culinary Boot Camp.
“It’s easy to stand on the balcony of a high-rise and say what’s wrong with the ground,” he shares. “It is just cooking, it is just food. We are taking kids off the streets and allowing them to see the world from a different viewpoint. Whatever it takes, we have to do it.”
While you’re gathered with your family this weekend, get your own kids involved in the cooking process with one of Chef G. Garvin’s favorite recipes below:
Shrimp and Beef Skewers
Details & Ingredients
• 1 pound medium shrimp
• 2 teaspoons salt
• 2 teaspoons black pepper
• 1 1/8 teaspoon blackening spice
• 6 tablespoons olive oil
• Wooden skewers 6 inches long
• 1 pound fillet mignon
1. Clean shrimp, removing shells and veins. Seasons shrimp with 1 teaspoon of the salt, 1 teaspoon of the pepper, and 1 teaspoon of the blackening spice. Sprinkle 1 tablespoon of the olive oil over shrimp. Take a skewer and push it lengthwise through a shrimp, starting at the tail. Repeat with remaining shrimp; set aside.
2. Slice beef into 3 x 1″ strips. Season beef with remaining salt, pepper, and blackening spice. Thread meat strips accordian-style onto skewers; set aside.
3. In a grill pan heat the remaining 5 tablespoons olive oil over medium-high heat. Add shrimp and beef skewers to grill pan, allowing skewer ends to hang off the sides of the pan. Cook shrimp skewers about five minutes and the beef to your liking, turning skewers over once so they cook evenly. Remove skewers from pan and place on paper towels to absorb excess oil.