Creative Spotlight: Michael Tonge of The Culture LP
Creative Spotlight, a weekly Friday feature highlighting Black creatives making trailblazing moves. In this space, your voices are heard and your hard work is celebrated!
Name: Michael Tonge
Bio: A Brooklyn native, and proud graduate of Brooklyn Tech, Michael Tonge went on to study Sociology at Bucknell University, where he received two varsity letters on their football team and became a member of Kappa Alpha Psi Fraternity, Inc.
As a strategist at Giant Spoon marketing firm, Michael forges solutions at the intersections of media, technology, and culture. Before Giant Spoon, he’s held positions at JP Morgan Chase, Carat, and Dentsu Aegis which aided in his well-rounded background in finance, media, and strategic planning.
Still kicking it in BK, you’ll probably catch him at a local art show, concert, party at kinfolk, or anywhere with good food and people.
Learn a few cool facts about this entrepreneur below!
JET: Can you breakdown what The Culture LP is about and what it offers?
Michael Tonge: The Culture LP (CLP Group, LLC), stands for Culture, Lifestyle, and Progress. Since 2012 we have put together offline experiences to introduce our generation’s creative class to one another. Whether a brunch with acoustic sounds by Geminelle Rollins, monthly dance parties with Rodney Hazard, or art installations with Harlem’s own Ronald Draper, uniting creators of all kinds is what we do. In the coming years we plan to support more debut solo exhibitions (like Patrick Eugene’s) through gallery and artist partnerships.
JET: What are some of your personal goals?
- Buy both of my parents a house
- Fast Company’s “Most Creative in Business” list
- Become a self-made millionaire
- Curate and promote an international art show
- Create a foundation or scholarship that enables minority males to pursue careers where business and creativity intersect (advertising, arts administration, curation, marketing strategy, etc.)
JET: What are five things people don’t know about you?
- My first name is actually Hugh-Michael
- Gender studies was my minor at Bucknell
- I used to serve ice cream at Cold Stone in Atlantic Mall before the Barclays Center was across the street
- I’m an only child
- If I were an artist by trade, I’d pursue photography