Creative Spotlight: Brittany Josephina of Brittspiration
Creative Spotlight is a weekly Friday feature highlighting Black creatives making trailblazing moves. In this space, your voices are heard and your hard work is celebrated!
Name: Brittany Josephina
Age: 22 years old.
Occupation: Writer and Empowerment Coach
Brittany Josephina , a writer, empowerment coach, and host of the 360 Self Love podcast is on a mission. Through the use of therapeutic conversation, strategic vision planning and guided meditation, she assists clients in achieving their goals. Josephina’s platform, Brittspiration is all about crafting D-I-Y approaches to self-love, manifestation and living abundantly on your own terms.
JET: Give a little insight on Brittspiration and your 360 Self Love Podcast.
I have a passion for self-definition. I approach my life from a space of adventure, curiosity and experimentation. I’m actually very scientific and methodical in my way of thinking, but creative in my approach to life. This has allowed me to make incredibly bold, delicious, self-affirming moves – and receive those things in return.
My platform, Brittspiration is all about providing and collectively creating DIY approaches to self-love, manifestation and determining what a life YOU love looks like – and then going out and making that your reality. Going back to my penchant for self-definition, I naturally have a love for philosophy. Through observation, I’ve witnessed how our beliefs determine our thoughts, which determine our actions, which determine our habits, which defines how we experience our lives. We are all creative beings creating our life experience. Therefore, if we are ready to shift our life or invite something new in, then we should start with our beliefs. Sometimes we are operating under beliefs that aren’t our own. They don’t actually resonate with who we authentically are. I want us to start giving ourselves permission to live our lives.
So what I do through Brittspiration, as an empowerment coach, in my writings and in the wellness workshops I hold, I’m encouraging people in fun, reflective and experimental ways to restructure the foundation of their belief system in a way that’s absolutely personalized, absolutely self-loving and absolutely delicious.
In my upcoming podcast, 360 Self Love, I’ll be creating an intimate, quirky, and personable approach to all things self-love.
JET: What are some of your personal goals?
My personal goals include creating and hosting wellness retreats, as well as hosting more women’s circles and creating more workshops. Recently, I’ve felt drawn to work with two specific populations: young girls between the ages of 12 to 14 to cultivate healthy self-expression, self-esteem and sisterhood and senior citizens to cultivate community, self-expression and offer holistic and art therapy. I have a background in guided meditation and occasionally teach yoga, so I want to expand my skill set by becoming a holistic practitioner who has a background in reiki, massage therapy and plant medicine.
I’m passionate about storytelling. One of my goals is to expand the narratives that are depicted and shared in the world by creating quirky and engaging to intimate and reflective documentaries and interviews. I’m such a fan of perspective and experience. We all have a story, and frankly, my inquisitive self-thrives off of having access to other people’s narratives about life.
As a young adult, I really feel like the truth about life has been overshadowed by stale mantras like “go to school, get a job, get married, have kids.” To be clear, none of those things are wrong, but it’s the lack of dialogue about the in-between things that happen both in and out of those experiences that leave us craving the authentic truth. What happens when we don’t follow those exact instructions? I love knowing how things pan out for different people and how that comes to be.
Lastly, to carry my mission of authentic storytelling and self-expression, I will be creating workbooks and journals that support you in mapping out your truth. Journaling has saved my life on multiple occasions and it’s a tool I use for manifestation.
JET: What are five things people don’t know about you?
- My last name is Spell. How witchy of me! 😉
- I am incredibly silly, talkative, and fun-loving. Because my work focuses richly on self-care, wellness and empowerment, those who know me solely off the Internet often perceive me as quiet, zen and calm, which I am. However, when you meet me in person, it’s easy to recognize how outgoing I am.
- I have a degree in both psychology and fine arts. I’ve been accepted to a Creative Art Therapy master’s program. I intend on incorporating art therapy in my wellness objectives!
- For the last four years, I’ve awarded three young women from my childhood high school with scholarships.
- I have a deep love for senior citizens. From birth to 11 years old, my great grandmother lived with my family until she passed away at 101 years old. She was definitely my best friend. Seniors often get overlooked and forgotten by friends, family members and sometimes society. But when you take the time to sit with them, ask them about their journey or simply play a game with them, you realize what a blessing you both are to be existing at the same moment.