7 Ways to Take Back Your Power at Work
Get ready to move up to that corner office or start your own enterprise. JETmag.com is partnering with the award-winning The BOSS Network to bring you BOSS UP every week. This feature will highlight movers, shakers and rule-breakers across different industries, plus offer you career and entrepreneurial advice.
Are you showing up in your career or business as powerfully as you know you can be? Do you believe in your long-term personal vision of success, without a shadow of a doubt? Or are you playing it safe and shying away from standing out in your field and being your most authentic self at work?
If you truly want to grow as a leader in your industry, and dramatically increase your income doing meaningful work that you love and know that you are meant to do, you’ll need to make serious changes on how you own your personal power.
These seven strategies will help you:
1. Put God first and commit to developing a closer relationship with Him and increasing your faith. Ask God for guidance and direction with your career or business decisions. In doing so, you’ll become more open and receptive to His miracles, blessings and grace. You’ll find yourself allowing God to do the heavy lifting in your career or business and no longer feel the need to carry all of your burdens on your own.
2. Set stronger boundaries around your time and energy. Stop working 24/7, 365 days a year. Take a lunch break. Schedule your vacation time now. Use the word “No” more frequently. Boundaries = balance.
3. Make your health, well-being and happiness a priority. Start by getting enough sleep each night, doing some form of exercise daily, and eating healthy nutritious meals. If you want to sustain your success, you’ll need to counter-balance all of your action with time spent resting, recovering and recharging.
4. Expand your network. Commit to meeting interesting, successful, passionate, high-performing visionaries. Spending time in the company of these professionals will inspire and motivate you in ways that you’d never imagine.
5. Feed your creativity. Take classes and workshops that are not directly related to your work. Feeding your creativity will give your life more joy. It will enhance your creative thinking skills and develop innovative ideas.
6. Trust your keen intuition. Stop second-guessing yourself about your career or business. Constantly seeking approval and acceptance will waste your time and result in unproductive work.
7. Focus on projects that highlight your innate gifts and strengths – the ones that energize you and where you lose track of time while working. Stop taking the lead on every project. Delegate the tasks that bog you down and are holding you back. Your energy and focus need to be on increasing your visibility, demonstrating your true leadership abilities and producing higher-level results, so that you can make a larger positive impact through your work.
About Althea McIntyre
Althea McIntyre is a seasoned career and executive coach, trainer and speaker. She helps high-performing purpose-driven leaders and visionaries transform their careers and increase their incomes doing meaningful work that they truly love and know that they are meant to do. She is the founder of The Best Career For Me. Follow Althea and view her member profile at The BOSS Network.