10 of Maya Angelou’s Most Memorable Quotes
Poet laureate Maya Angelou passed away Wednesday morning and left behind quite the impressive anthology.
While the award-winning author served as an inspiration to writers around the world, she also shared valuable life lessons and and advice everyone should heed.
Below are 10 of Angelou’s most inspiring quotes:
1. “I’ve learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel.”
2. “Try to be a rainbow in someone’s cloud.”
3. “We may encounter many defeats but we must not be defeated.”
4. “If you don’t like something, change it. If you can’t change it, change your attitude. Don’t complain.”
5. “My great hope is to laugh as much as I cry; to get my work done and try to love somebody and have the courage to accept the love in return.”
6. “It’s one of the greatest gifts you can give yourself, to forgive. Forgive everybody.”
7. “One isn’t necessarily born with courage, but one is born with potential. Without courage, we cannot practice any other virtue with consistency. We can’t be kind, true, merciful, generous, or honest.”
8. “You may not control all the events that happen to you, but you can decide not to be reduced by them.”
9. “We have to confront ourselves. Do we like what we see in the mirror? And, according to our light, according to our understanding, according to our courage, we will have to say yea or nay — and rise!”
10. “Love recognizes no barriers. It jumps hurdles, leaps fences, penetrates walls to arrive at its destination full of hope.”