As told to S. Tia Brown
Anyone can say they’re a model. But if you’re not making dollars carrying the “title” it doesn’t make sense. That’s why JET asked Real Housewives of Atlanta’s Cynthia Bailey to give tips on the business of beauty. Each week the Bravo star— who’s been a working model for three decades—will share inside scoop on the modeling business.
This Week’s Tip: Know What to Throw in the Bag
Poor preparation guarantees failure in any field— especially modeling. When you arrive at a booking you need to be armed with more than flawless skin and a toned body. You can’t expect that the client, or their team, will be armed with everything you need to look your best…so you should be. Want to be prepared for every, and anything? Here are four musts you should wear or carry ensure all of your gigs have a picture perfect ending:
1. Makeup: Your perfect shade of loose face powder, foundation and concealer . Plus, bring a non-greasy lip moisturizer.
2. Hair &Toiletries: Make sure to arrive well-groomed (ex. shaven) and carry a travel shaving kit, deodorant, toothpaste, toothbrush talcum powder and Visine.
3. Underwear: Skin tone undershirt & a jock strap.
4. Jeans/Slacks: Basic blue jeans and neutral— no logos or buttonfly.
1. Makeup: Your complete makeup bag (in the shades that work best for your complexion), including: foundation, powder, eyeshadow, blush, mascara, various lip colors & moisturizer.
2. Hair &Toiletries: Grooming basics, from irons and brushes to gel and bands to pull hair away from the face. Plus, lotion or body moisturizer.
3. Underwear: All undergarments should be nude or white— and without lace. Make sure to have a thong, seamless and strapless underwear and a body stocking.
4. Toiletries: Visine, deodorant, toothpaste & toothbrush, baby powder, razor & shaving cream or hair remover.