Mayweather Stripped of Welterweight Title
Boxing champ Floyd Mayweather is always boasting about having all of the money in the world, but somehow the pro boxer managed not to pay a $200,000 “sanctioning” fee to the World Boxing Organization (WBO) for his “fight of the century” against Manny Pacquiao.
He won the belt with a unanimous points victory against Pacquiao on May 2 in Las Vegas, and earned $180 million for the fight. But none of that matters because Mayweather missed the deadline to pay the fee.
The 38-year-old boxer also failed to vacate his World Boxing Association (WBA) and World Boxing Council (WBC) titles at the junior middleweight, according the CNN. WBO rules state a boxer can only hold titles in one weight division.
“Despite affording Mr. Mayweather Jr. the courtesy of an extension to advise us of his position within the WBO Welterweight Division and to vacate the two 154-pound world titles he holds, the WBO World Championship Committee received no response from him or his legal representatives on this matter,” the WBO said on its website.
“The WBO World Championship Committee is allowed no other alternative but to cease to recognize Mr. Floyd Mayweather, Jr. as the WBO Welterweight Champion of the World and vacate his title, for failing to comply with our WBO Regulations of World Championship Contests.”
“Money” Mayweather, who is undefeated, said in a press conference after his bout with Pacquiao that he would consider relinquishing his WBO, WBA and WBC welterweight belts to give “younger guys an opportunity.”
“I’m not greedy. The other guys need a chance. It is time they fight for the belts,” he said.
The fighter has 14 days to appeal the WBO’s decision. If he does not appeal, the title will most likely go to Timothy Bradley, who beat Jessie Vargas in an interim title bout last month.