Lil Wayne To Sue Cash Money in NOLA
Media outlets have reported that rapper Lil Wayne has dropped his $51 million lawsuit against Cash Money Records, but his lawyer, Ron Sweeney, says the star is simply re-filing his lawsuit in New Orleans.
Sweeney, who spoke with Rolling Stone, told the magazine that the original suit was filed in New York where both Cash Money and Universal Music Group have offices. The two sides worked out a deal to re-file in New Orleans, where Wayne originally signed his Cash Money contract in 1998.
“We gave them until [Monday], April 6 to file an answer,” Sweeney told Rolling Stone. “[Cash Money] said they were going to challenge the venue, so at that point, it was a waste of time and money, so we all agreed that we would dismiss the action [in New York] and Wayne and [his record label] Young Money would re-file in New Orleans.”
Wayne’s legal team released the following statement:
“Lil Wayne and Young Money LLC have entered into a stipulation with Cash Money the effect of which is to transfer the claims raised in the action which had been commenced in the United States District Court for the Southern District of New York to the Federal and/or State Courts of Louisiana. The claims previously asserted by Lil Wayne and Young Money LLC against Cash Money for substantial monies owed and breach of fiduciary duty have not been settled and will be prosecuted in Louisiana as expeditiously as possible.”
Wayne filed his suit against the label in January, claiming that money had been withheld for the last two albums he’s recorded. His mentee Drake rapped about similar disputes with the label on his mixtape If You’re Reading This It’s Too Late.
A lawyer for Cash Money did not respond to a request for comment from Rolling Stone.