News

Jan 2014

Steve Harvey, Coca-Cola Paying It Forward

Steve & Marjorie Harvey Foundation teams with Coca-Cola for contest ...
By Matthew Wright

Steve Harvey, Coca-Cola Paying It Forward

The Steve & Marjorie Harvey Foundation partnered with Coca-Cola recently to launch “Pay It Forward,” a nationwide competition to support the next generation of leaders.

The Coca-Cola Pay It Forward program offers internship experiences to African-American youth. Steve Harvey will assume the role of mentor by providing two apprenticeships focusing on the areas of philanthropy/community and media/entertainment.

Apprentices will work with Harvey and his team on his radio shows, entertainment company and the Steve and Marjorie Harvey Foundation’s mentoring camps.

Now through March 15, parents, relatives, friends and mentors may nominate an aspiring young person for the program by visiting www.coke.com/payitforward. The program is open to teens and young adults between the ages of 16 and 21 (as of May 1, 2014). Nominators must be 16 years of age or older. Eligible youth also may nominate themselves. Winners will be selected and contacted near the end of April to participate in the five-day summer apprenticeship. In addition, each winning student will be awarded a $5,000 scholarship to assist with his or her pursuit of higher education.

Best of luck!

9 Comments »

1. portia humphrey January 28, 2014 at 2:12 pm - Reply

I want to add my daughter to receive this scholarship award. I'm so proud of her and she deserves something like this to see someone does care and all her hard work and never getting into trouble. being. Humble even when she is being pick on. I don't want to tell all she been through because I tell her all the time this too shall pass. Those girls who picked on you since you were small and continue to treat you bad. Look at them now your the only one in college no babies. Has a 3.2. Her freshman year while playing volleyball she obtain a 4.0. And help that team make history at w.s.s.u. in NC. She and I are so close and again because of her atlanta she had to endure her teammates picking on her. She stay humble and kept her grades /gpa. High because I told her the atlanta can help you a lot if you decide to transfer but those grades mean more to a coach and the college to accept you. I told her to hang in there and be your best and treat people like you want to be treated. Leave ongood terme with the college and coach because you never know when you may pass each other again or have to return back. Well we got her closer to home. As you know playing sport your only promise a one yr. Scholarship. Well the coach gets fired and the new comes in. From up north. To keep it short he said things to my daughter that lead him to take a course on how to speak to our girls "black". She was released. It was a blessings. She is now 20 miles from home an a prestige college where she is doing awesome but still is having to prove to them she didn't attend a prep high school but can compete with them. One of her problems is being shy. I think this would make her a strong person and know all her hard work did help and its ok to be humble and keeping god first you have no choice but to be the best.

2. shandalleah jackson January 31, 2014 at 11:23 am - Reply

I dont really have a comment but i really wont to have this one chance to go to collage and play softball

3. Shatoya Everhart February 26, 2014 at 12:42 pm - Reply

I would like to nominate myself in order to higher my education as i finish my last year of highschool, and enter the college or four year university with acceptance in the process to become an earlychildhood educator. THANKS!

4. Claudette Lattin March 31, 2014 at 6:45 am - Reply

I am just finding out about this scholarship program and wanted to know if it's too late for my child to apply. She is a senior and will be in the graduation class of 2014. I look forward to hearing from you soon.

5. Tyreke Jean-Baptiste January 22, 2015 at 9:10 am - Reply

I would like my son Tyreke to get in the program, he's a 14 years old young man. He is in 10th grade, very smart. I don't have much to give him, but I would like to see him progress in life. A few weeks ago, he asked" mom do I have a college fund? I looked at him and said in Haiti where I grew up there's no such thing. You'll have to work for it. Then he said okay mom I'll get job at the grocery store. I was in tears, because I know as a mom it's my job to make sure that my son have an education to succeed in life. Please take my request and give this smart young man a chance in life.

6. ms.Macon county January 22, 2015 at 3:58 pm - Reply

I would like to nominate my great nephew, Elijah Nedds.nwe are so proud of him

7. Augustina Gibbs January 26, 2015 at 8:44 am - Reply

I would like to nominate my son (Sentell Green) for this scholarship. He has worked very hard and he has never gotten in any trouble in school or out of school he has never been a follower but always a leader. He is in the 12th grade currently attending D.H. Conley high. I am a single mother of four. Sentell's father was currently released from a 18 year sentenced which he served. Sentell played basketball from middle to high school, he stopped his senior year to concentrate on school. He wants to go to college at Full Sail University in Florida for his Bachelor's Degree in Music Business. He is very talented in everything he does. I hope this will be the beginning of his success as a young black man.

8. Scotlyn Odom February 28, 2015 at 4:18 pm - Reply

I would like to nominate myself, Scotlyn Odom for this scholarship. I would love to higher my education, and make myself a better person. I'm in the 11th grade, and as I continue through high school I have high goals for myself, and this scholarship could help me archive them. I know I can be the best, and I plan on becoming the best.

• lcross March 2, 2015 at 9:19 am - Reply